- Public Toilets: Located near the entrance to Machu Picchu on the lower level. The price for a tinkle is 1 Peruvian Sole, so make sure you have some change to hand. These are the only public toilets at Machu Picchu, so don’t get caught short!
- Luggage Storage: Located 2 – 3 meters (6 – 9 feet) past the entrance gate turnstiles on the left hand-side. You can store excess luggage for 3 Soles per day. Remember large backpacks are not permitted inside Machu Picchu so this is the ideal place to leave your things. Don’t worry it is secure.
- Guide Services: Machu Picchu guides can be found hanging around the entrance to Machu Picchu. Official guides can be identified by their authorization badge hanging around their necks. For more information on hiring a Machu Picchu guide read this article.
- Shuttle Busses: Shuttle busses depart when full (every 30 minutes or so) from outside the Sanctaury lodge Hotel close to the entrance of Machu Picchu. The first bus departs Machu Picchu at 6am, and the last bus departs when the park closes at 6pm. For more details and information on shuttle buses and tariffs please read this article.
- Medical Assistance / Pharmacy: There is a permanent onsite doctor at Machu Picchu and pharmacy. Medical facilities are found directly to the left of the entrance to Machu Picchu, and are provided by the private clinics Clinica San Jose and Clinica Pardo.
- Snack Bar: Located adjacent to the entrance of Machu Picchu. Typical snack bar food is available including: sandwiches, pizzas, burgers, pastries and all the usual hot and cold drinks you would expect. The snack bar is operated by the Sanctuary Lodge hotel, so the quality of the food is very good, but the prices are predictably high. The snack bar is open all day, from early morning until late afternoon.
- Tinkuy Restaurant: Situated just outside the main entrance to Machu Picchu. A buffet style affair, put on by the exclusive Sanctuary Lodge Hotel. It’s not cheap at US$ 40 per person (US$ 20 children 3 – 11 years old), but it is rather convenient and good quality. The restaurant is open from 11.30 am – 3.00 pm, and entrance can be purchased on the day or in-advance through your travel agent.
- Souvenir Shops: Book stalls located just before the entrance to Machu Picchu, and a couple of jewellery and alpaca shops located by the entrance to the toilets. There is nothing unique about the souvenirs at Machu Picchu but prices are much higher, so our advice is to save your hard earned cash and purchase your souvenirs in Cusco or the Sacred Valley.
- Administration Office / Stamp Room: Located immediately part the turnstiles at the entrance gate. Here you can have your passport stamped and dated with the official Machu Picchu stamp. Just ask, it’s not advertised at all!
Access for Handicapped / Restricted Walking Abilities
Due to its mountainside location and endless Inca stairways, getting around Machu Picchu is a challenge for all visitors let alone the handicapped. There are no access slops with in the citadel, making wheelchair access practically impossible. However, it is possible to get to a view point over Machu Picchu without traversing steps. Following the main pathway from the entrance gate to the first row of agricultural terraces (about 200 meters / 220 yards) you can appreciate panoramic views of the Urban Sector of Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu Mountain. Ask a member of staff for help if needed. For people with restricted walking abilities Machu Picchu proves a real challenge too. Although park rules state no walking sticks are allowed, it is generally accepted that 1 walking stick with a rubber tip is okay. There are practically no seats or benches to rest upon, so the only place you can rest is on the floor. Put a sturdy blanket in your backpack to sit on and avoid biting insects. The Sanctuary Lodge Hotel is the only hotel located at the site of Machu Picchu. It is situated just a few meters from where the shuttle busses arrive and a few steps from the entrance to Machu Picchu. If you can afford the rather high price tag of around US$ 1,000 per night, this hotel may offer the perfect solution for those with disabilities.