Going from Arequipa to Ica by Bus: 2019 updated information about Bus Safety, The Best Bus Companies to take and their schedules!
Travelling to Ica from Arequipa takes around 11 hours. In this guide, we have extensive information about bus safety in Peru, the best bus companies to travel with and other benefits you should look out for when choosing the bus company you want to travel with from Arequipa to Huacachina.
Generally, it is recommended to go on this journey during the day rather than at night due to the beautiful coastal scenery along the Pacific Coast you get to witness. Bus travel is the only option to travel from Arequipa to Ica as flights aren’t available due to there being no airport in Ica. It is important to note that Ica is a city and there are not a lot of things to do there. If you want to visit the sand dunes, you need to go to Huacachina, the only oasis in South America. Public buses go to Ica and no further. It is not possible to get a public bus to Huacachina. Private buses, such as hop on hop off buses, go directly to Huacachina. Below you will find important information to consider before choosing the best bus company to travel with on this route.
If traveling to or from Lima Airport, it is strongly recommended to use the luxury Airport Express Lima
bus to get to or from your hotel. Safer and cheaper than a taxi with no baggage limit as well as Free WiFi and USB chargers on-board, it is ideal for travelers.
To travel from Arequipa to Ica, there are 2 main options:
1 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
2 – Public Bus (e.g. Cruz del Sur, Oltursa)
The schedule and departure times of buses from Arequipa to Ica are as follows:
|COMPANIES||SCHEDULE||DEPARTURE TIME||DEPARTURE LOCATION||ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSISTANCE
|CRUZ DEL SUR||DAILY ||4:00, 16:00 and 18:00||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO
|PERU HOP||DAILY ||05:45||HOTEL PICK UP & DROP OFF ||YES
|CIVA||DAILY ||1:30||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO
|GREEN TOAD ||WEEKLY ||14:00 and 18:00||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Is it required to travel to the bus companies public terminal or do they pick you up from your hotel/hostel?
- Some bus companies, such as the hop on hop off companies, do pick you up from wherever you’re staying, which is a much more secure and safer service rather than having to take local taxis. Going with public bus companies you will always have to travel to the terminal meaning there is the need to find out where the terminal is and organising transport to on the day of travel.
- How is bus safety in Peru and what are the companies safety records like?
- This varies from company to company. The best way to find out the safety record of any bus company is to put the name of the company with the words “hijackings” or “accidents” and googling the results. This way you will be able to see which companies are the best.
- What can I expect to find on the bus? What are the on-board facilities like?
- Most companies will have TV’s, toilets (how clean the toilets are depend on the company) and semi-cama or cama seats. All important factors which help determine the best company.
- Are there any other benefits I can expect to find depending on the bus company?
- You will find while doing research that different companies offer different things. Some companies have special luxury class buses that come at a higher price, some companies, such as Cruz del Sur, have loyalty point schemes and other companies, such as Peru Hop, offer discounts on accommodation and other things. Make sure to check out a couple of different companies to see what benefits you can get and which will be the best for you.
The journey from Arequipa to Ica by bus is usually a pleasant one (depending on what company you travel with) as most of the roads are in good condition compared to some of the other destinations in Peru. All you have to do is choose the best bus company and enjoy your journey!