Going from Ica to Puno by Bus: 2022 updated information about Bus Safety, The Best Bus Companies to take and their schedules!
Travelling to Puno from Ica takes around 16 hours. In this guide, we have extensive information about bus safety in Peru, the best bus companies to travel with and other benefits you should look out for when choosing the bus company you want to travel with from Arequipa to Huacachina.
The journey from Ica to Puno is a nice trip with some stunning scenery along the way. Bus travel is the only real option to travel from Ica to Puno as flights aren’t available due to there being no airports in Ica. Alternatively, you can take a bus back to Lima from Ica which is around 5 hours and fly to Juliaca which is a 1 hour bus to Puno. This does usually tend to be expensive, especially once all of the other costs have been taken into consideration, such as the taxis needed to and from the airports and the extra bus journeys. Below you will find important information to consider before choosing the best bus company to travel with on this route. It is important to note that some public buses don’t go directly to Puno and usually stop off in Arequipa to switch buses.
If traveling to or from Lima Airport, it is strongly recommended to use the luxury Airport Express Lima
bus to get to or from your hotel. Safer and cheaper than a taxi with no baggage limit as well as Free WiFi and USB chargers onboard, it is ideal for travelers.
To travel Ica to Puno, there are 2 main options:
1 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
2 – Public Bus (e.g. Cruz del Sur, Oltursa)
The schedule and departure times of buses from Ica to Puno are as follows:
|SCHEDULE||DEPARTURE TIME||DEPARTURE LOCATION||ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSITANCE
|OLTURSA|| DAILY||12:45 and 20:45||PUBLIC TERMINAL|| NO
| DAILY|| 13:00||HOTEL PICK-UP & DROP-OFF|
|CIVA|| DAILY|| 17:00 and 17:15||PUBLIC TERMINAL|| NO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Is it required to travel to the bus companies public terminal or do they pick you up from your hotel/hostel?
- Some bus companies, such as the hop on hop off companies, do pick you up from wherever you’re staying, which is a much more secure and safer service rather than having to take local taxis. Going with public bus companies you will always have to travel to the terminal meaning there is the need to find out where the terminal is and organising transport to on the day of travel.
- How is bus safety in Peru and what are the companies safety records like?
- This varies from company to company. The best way to find out the safety record of any bus company is to put the name of the company with the words “hijackings” or “accidents” and googling the results. This way you will be able to see which companies are the best.
- What can I expect to find on the bus? What are the on-board facilities like?
- Most companies will have TV’s, toilets (how clean the toilets are depend on the company) and semi-cama or cama seats. All important factors which help determine the best company.
- Are there any other benefits I can expect to find depending on the bus company?
- You will find while doing research that different companies offer different things. Some companies have special luxury class buses that come at a higher price, some companies, such as Cruz del Sur, have loyalty point schemes and other companies, such as Peru Hop, offer discounts on accommodation and other things. Make sure to check out a couple of different companies to see what benefits you can get and which will be the best for you.
The journey from Ica to Puno by bus is usually a pleasant one (depending on what company you travel with) as most of the roads are in good condition compared to some of the other destinations in Peru. All you have to do is choose the best bus company and enjoy your journey!