Going from La Paz to Lake Titicaca by Bus: 2021 updated information about Bus Safety, The Best Bus Companies to take and their schedules!
Travelling to Lake Titicaca from La Paz takes around 3 hours. In this guide, we have extensive information about bus safety in Peru, the best bus companies to travel with and other benefits you should look out for when choosing the bus company you want to travel with from La Paz to Lake Titicaca.
The journey from La Paz to Lake Titicaca is usually done via Copacabana and has some spectacular scenery along the way. Depending on what side of the Lake you visit, Peru or Bolivia, you will be crossing the Bolivian border. If visiting the lake from the Peruvian side, due to the bus having to cross the border between Bolivia and Peru, it is important to make sure you know about the visa requirements and fees for each country. Depending on the service you choose, you might be lucky enough to have a guide on board to help you with the paperwork. There are no direct flights from La Paz to Lake Titicaca so travelling by bus is the only option. Below you will find important information to consider before choosing the best bus company to travel with on this route.
If traveling to or from Lima Airport, it is strongly recommended to use the luxury Airport Express Lima
bus to get to or from your hotel. Safer and cheaper than a taxi with no baggage limit as well as Free WiFi and USB chargers onboard, it is ideal for travelers.
To take a bus from La Paz to Lake Titicaca you have 2 main options:
1 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
2 – Public Bus (e.g. Cruz del Sur, Oltursa)
The schedule and departure times of buses from La Paz to Lake Titicaca are as follows:
|SCHEDULE||DEPARTURE TIME||DEPARTURE LOCATION||ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSITANCE
|TOUR PERU || DAILY||16:30 ||PUBLIC TERMINAL || NO
|BOLIVIA HOP|| DAILY|| 07:00||HOTEL PICK UP & DROP OFF || YES
|TRANS TITICACA|| DAILY|| 08:00 and 13:30||PUBLIC TERMINAL || NO
|GREEN TOAD|| WEEKLY|| 07:00||PUBLIC TERMINAL || NO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Is it required to travel to the bus companies public terminal or do they pick you up from your hotel/hostel?
- Some bus companies, such as the hop on hop off companies, do pick you up from wherever you’re staying, which is a much more secure and safer service rather than having to take local taxis. Going with public bus companies you will always have to travel to the terminal meaning there is the need to find out where the terminal is and organising transport to on the day of travel.
- How is bus safety in Peru and what are the companies safety records like?
- This varies from company to company. The best way to find out the safety record of any bus company is to put the name of the company with the words “hijackings” or “accidents” and googling the results. This way you will be able to see which companies are the best.
- What can I expect to find on the bus? What are the on-board facilities like?
- Most companies will have TV’s, toilets (how clean the toilets are depend on the company) and semi-cama or cama seats. All important factors which help determine the best company.
- Are there any other benefits I can expect to find depending on the bus company?
- You will find while doing research that different companies offer different things. Some companies have special luxury class buses that come at a higher price, some companies, such as Cruz del Sur, have loyalty point schemes and other companies, such as Peru Hop, offer discounts on accommodation and other things. Make sure to check out a couple of different companies to see what benefits you can get and which will be the best for you.
The journey from La Paz to Lake Titicaca is usually a pleasant one (depending on what company you travel with). The amazing scenery, especially when passing through Copacabana and Puno, is not to be missed. Although a pleasant journey, it is highly recommended to know what is required for crossing the border to not encounter any unexpected problems. Travelling with Bolivia Hop is the best option due to their border crossing assistance and unforgettable stops along the way. All you have to do is choose the best bus company and enjoy your journey!