Going from Lima to Arequipa by Bus: 2022 updated information about Bus Safety, The Best Bus Companies to take and their schedules.
Travelling to Lima from Arequipa takes around 17 hours. In this guide, we have included extensive information about bus safety in Peru, the best bus companies to travel with and other benefits you should look out for when choosing the bus company you want to travel with from Lima to Arequipa.
The journey from Lima to Arequipa is a long one, but the stunning coastal scenery of the Pacific Coast makes it a beautiful one. Along this route, it is strongly recommended to stop off in Paracas and Huacachina as they should not be missed out on any trip to Peru. The alternative option to this spectacular journey is to go from Lima to Arequipa by plane. This does usually tend to be expensive, especially considering the location of Lima Airport, which is quite far from the area of Miraflores. However, the new Airport Express Lima Bus offers a safe and cheap way to travel from Lima Airport. Below you will find important information to consider before choosing the best bus company to travel with on this route
If traveling to or from Lima Airport, it is strongly recommended to use the luxury Airport Express Lima
bus to get to or from your hotel. Safer and cheaper than a taxi with no baggage limit as well as Free WiFi and USB chargers onboard, it is ideal for travelers.
To take a bus from Lima to Arequipa you have 2 main options:
1 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
2 – Public Bus (e.g. Cruz del Sur, Oltursa)
The schedule and departure times of buses from Lima to Arequipa are as follows:
|SCHEDULE||DEPARTURE TIME||DEPARTURE LOCATION||ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSITANCE
|CRUZ DEL SUR|| DAILY||06:30,14:30 and 16:30||PUBLIC TERMINAL || NO
|PERU HOP|| DAILY|| 06:00 and 07:00||HOTEL PICK-UP & DROP OFF|| YES
|GREEN TOAD|| WEEKLY|| 03:45||PUBLIC TERMINAL || NO
|TEPSA|| DAILY||18:00 and 20:30|
|PUBLIC TERMINAL || NO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Is it required to travel to the bus companies public terminal or do they pick you up from your hotel/hostel?
- Some bus companies, such as the hop on hop off companies, do pick you up from wherever you’re staying, which is a much more secure and safer service rather than having to take local taxis. Going with public bus companies you will always have to travel to the terminal meaning there is the need to find out where the terminal is and organising transport to on the day of travel.
- How is bus safety in Peru and what are the companies safety records like?
- This varies from company to company. The best way to find out the safety record of any bus company is to put the name of the company with the words “hijackings” or “accidents” and googling the results. This way you will be able to see which companies are the best.
- What can I expect to find on the bus? What are the on-board facilities like?
- Most companies will have TV’s, toilets (how clean the toilets are depend on the company) and semi-cama or cama seats. All important factors which help determine the best company.
- Are there any other benefits I can expect to find depending on the bus company?
- You will find while doing research that different companies offer different things. Some companies have special luxury class buses that come at a higher price, some companies, such as Cruz del Sur, have loyalty point schemes and other companies, such as Peru Hop, offer discounts on accommodation and other things. Make sure to check out a couple of different companies to see what benefits you can get and which will be the best for you.
The journey from Lima to Arequipa should always be split up with visits to Paracas and Huacachina where possible. Make sure to try and find a suitable option which will allow give you some time at either place and then just enjoy your journey! If you decide to take the alternative option of flying, use the Airport Express Lima to get to your hotel/hostel safely.