Going from La Paz to Cusco by Bus: 2020 updated information about Bus Safety, The Best Bus Companies to take and their schedules.
Travelling to La Paz from Cusco takes around 16 hours when the time required to cross the border is factored in. The journey from La Paz to Cusco should always be split up with a visit to the unmissable Lake Titicaca, whether it’s in Puno or Copacabana or both. In this guide, we have included extensive information about us safety in Peru, the best bus companies to travel with and other benefits you should look out for when choosing the bus company you want to travel with from La Paz to Cusco.
The journey from La Paz to Cusco offers some stunning landscapes along the way. When travelling between the two locations, the main gateway is to cross the border at Puno, after Copacabana in Bolivia. Some bus services stop in Copacabana or Puno for travellers to visit Lake Titicaca and it is highly recommended to visit the incredible floating islands on the lake, even if it’s only a brief morning stop. Travelling to Lake Titicaca from Copacabana is the only way to visit the Isla del Sol. From Copacabana, you will cross the border which is known for being difficult to cross, and travel 3 hours to Puno. Puno is home to the Peruvian side of Lake Titicaca and home to the Uros floating reed islands. These islands are an absolute must see on any trip from La Paz to Cusco.
Due to the bus having to cross the border between Bolivia and Peru, it is important to make sure you know about the visa requirements and fees for each country. Depending on the service you choose, you might be lucky enough to have a guide on board to help you with the paperwork. The alternative option to this amazing bus journey is to go from La Paz to Cucsco by plane, but this can be expensive as flights between Bolivia and Peru are classed as international flights. Especially when all other costs, such as the taxis needed to and from the airports, have been taken into consideration, the expenses involved in this journey really add up. Below you will find important information to consider before choosing the best bus company to travel with on this route.
If traveling to or from Lima Airport, it is strongly recommended to use the luxury Airport Express Lima
bus to get to or from your hotel. Safer and cheaper than a taxi with no baggage limit as well as Free WiFi and USB chargers onboard, it is ideal for travelers.
To take a bus from La Paz to Cusco you have 2 main options:
1 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
2 – Public Bus (e.g. Cruz del Sur, Oltursa)
The schedule and departure times of buses from La Paz to Cusco are as follows:
|SCHEDULE||DEPARTURE TIME||DEPARTURE LOCATION||ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSITANCE
|TOUR PERU || DAILY||16:30 and 21:30||PUBLIC TERMINAL || NO
|BOLIVIA HOP|| DAILY|| 07:00||HOTEL PICK UP & DROP OFF || YES
|TRANS SALVADOR|| DAILY|| 16:30 ||PUBLIC TERMINAL || NO
|GREEN TOAD|| WEEKLY|| 07:00||PUBLIC TERMINAL || NO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Is it required to travel to the bus companies public terminal or do they pick you up from your hotel/hostel?
- Some bus companies, such as the hop on hop off companies, do pick you up from wherever you’re staying, which is a much more secure and safer service rather than having to take local taxis. Going with public bus companies you will always have to travel to the terminal meaning there is the need to find out where the terminal is and organising transport to on the day of travel.
- How is bus safety in Peru and what are the companies safety records like?
- This varies from company to company. The best way to find out the safety record of any bus company is to put the name of the company with the words “hijackings” or “accidents” and googling the results. This way you will be able to see which companies are the best.
- What can I expect to find on the bus? What are the on-board facilities like?
- Most companies will have TV’s, toilets (how clean the toilets are depend on the company) and semi-cama or cama seats. All important factors which help determine the best company.
- Are there any other benefits I can expect to find depending on the bus company?
- You will find while doing research that different companies offer different things. Some companies have special luxury class buses that come at a higher price, some companies, such as Cruz del Sur, have loyalty point schemes and other companies, such as Peru Hop, offer discounts on accommodation and other things. Make sure to check out a couple of different companies to see what benefits you can get and which will be the best for you.
The journey from La Paz to Cusco is usually a pleasant one (depending on what company you travel with). The amazing scenery, especially when passing through Puno and Copacabana, is not to be missed. Although a pleasant journey, it is highly recommended to know what is required for crossing the border to not encounter any unexpected problems. Travelling with Bolivia Hop is the best option due to their border crossing assistance and unforgettable stops along the way. Make sure to try and find a suitable option which will give you some time at the Lake at either place and then just enjoy your journey!